Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advocating for change

Yeahright86
Contributor

Mental health system

I'm very disappointed with care for people with schizophrenia.  They change your medication then boot you out. There isn't any system that was given to my parents as stay in to access and evaluate and deal with issues. As their issues don't surface in an hour contact.

I've also heard the mental health system is already struggling to cope from drug abusers. So people with actual diagnosied  major mental health problems don't get the proper care they need.

Surely I hope in the future let's say 25 years from now things have improved. Funding has improved. Methods of care have improved where even family members aren't at the mercy of mental health issues and a system incompetent to provide proper care.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Mental health system

I'm hearing you that the system has a long way to go @Yeahright86 .

SANE itself was established as Schizophrenia Australia Foundation to advocate for those with schizophrenia and their families.

We need more voices. Ones who can advocate for those with schizophrenia and their families.

I hope there will be more understanding and education around what schizophrenia is for those in the community. I recognise there is so much stigma and that 'medication' is what cures it. I certainly hear you about medication and then you are left to fend for yourself.

I hope you find more support. Everyone deserves a chance.

Yep @Yeahright86 Hearing you be honest about the problem in MH system now, the improvements from past ways of dealing with those in distress, and optimism for the future.

I had 2 parents with Sz diagnosis, whatever that really means when all is said and done.  It is hard and there is also the fear of having the same issues whether through genetics or intergenerational trauma. I dont believe its clear .... we can only live our best lives .... steer the boat with the oars given to us.

Thank you!  Impressive you've survived. I sometimes wonder how I survived so far dealing with the mental torment that surrounds my family and in return affects me too.

I'm not too worried about myself any more. The damage is done. Just worried about future families who will be impacted by this cruelty. Hope by then there is more understanding and better care. Merry Xmas 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

For urgent assistance