Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Living with Loneliness

@PeppyPatti

No, I moved out about 10 years ago, as sad as that is.  I always wanted to move out but I had no where to go and not enough money to move somewhere by myself.  The negative opinion of myself was pretty high back then.  I didn't have any close friends and getting a proper job was hard because the thought of applying and having to be 'judged' at an interview was very difficult to get past.  I found a job at a local community centre because they really needed someone with IT skills.  I started as a volunteer (as part of a unemployment govt program) but they loved having someone there who could fix their computer and network problems as well as improved their current systems and create new ones.  So they offered to pay me to I would stay. It wasn't a lot of hours but I liked it there and felt valued, which was rare for me, so I stayed for 18 years.  Not the best career or financial decision, but it felt like the best I could hope for.  It also wasn't the best 'mental' decision because it just fed into my low self esteem because I avoided people even more because they would inevitably ask about 'who do you live with' forcing me to lie or humiliate myself... and I never could bring myself to lie.

Every time my adoptive mother introduced me to some one, she would say "This is my son M..., he's adopted!"  I always hated that and she got really cranky if I said anything about it... like I was being annoying!  So I put up with it.  Some people would then ask "Has ever tried to find his birth mother?"  Her tone would then change and she would say in a very passive aggressive manner "He can do whatever he wants, but if he finds her, that b#$ch will never be welcome in my house!"  So I grew up afraid to find my bio-mother because of the fear of being rejected again as well as the thought that is was going to cause drama and conflict if I did.  To this day, I still haven't told her about my birth family and never plan to.  I haven't even told my brother (the one my adoptive parents adopted after me) because of fear he will tell my mother.  So i keep it to myself.

Both my adoptive parent were heavy smokers.  And I mean HEAVY!  You could walk past their bedroom a 3am and you would see 2 little red glows.  I didn't mean they were awake by the way.  The carpet on each side of the bed, near the head end was pretty much all black from burns of lit cigarettes from when they fell asleep.  I always complained about the smoking around me as I hated the smell as well as the taste of the smoke.  They would just laugh as I coughed and tried to wave the smoke away... until it got tedious over the years then they would get really annoyed and tell me to stop being stupid, or angrily move their cigarette to the opposite hand.  My mother did anyway... my father just ignored me.  As soon as I was old enough to eat meals in my room, I did.  And I just stayed in my room while they watched TV, or I went outside just to get away from the smoke.  It's probably little wonder the desire to find my biological mother was so strong... but so was the fear.

So i know there's a chance that letter just got lost, but knowing my adoptive mother as well as I do, i'm sure she would have never given it to me anyway.  I see no point in asking because she would just deny all knowledge and I can't prove she ever got it, but also because even if I persisted and found out she did hide it from me, I would get so angry that at the very least I would tell her I never want to see or hear from her ever again!  And that would take a lot of self control.  So I keep it all to myself.

I'm happy you got something out of my story.  It certainly is quite an experience and I think explains more about me and the way I am than anything else I could say.  I know what you mean about the 50s reset button.  Mine was more or less forced on me by my health issues but I had already found my biological family a year before so I think i was on the way to making some big changes to move past my previous self who just buried everything emotional and never dealt with anything and just hid from the world I guess.  It's nice to be finally peeking my head out!  It's great that you feel your own "rebirth" at a similar time in life.  It doesn't remove everything from the past but it does lighten the load a lot.

@Lila3 

Thanks for your thoughts on my story, it's definitely not a normal route people take though their lives.

I think this is why I see family, close family, being so important in life.  So whether is someone adopted like me that is having issues not being connected to their adoptive families or people having similar disconnects with their own birth families, it breaks my heart because I know just how massive a part of life we're separated from.  It messes with you in so many ways!

Jeepers. May I comment to Your answers to your loneliness thread 

Then to that  incredible answer @Lila3  gave you. 

I'm not stepping away from your story --- but when I reread your answer questions to loneliness thread I identified some as an abuser of being married to someone with mental ill health and as someone lonely. 

I used to walk around the playground pretending I had a friend too. I got that. I didn't get lunches when I was a little girl and one Friday my friend's mother bought me a lunch. I will never forget that. 

I was married to someone with pretty bad case of schizophrenia. It was for 10 wonderful years. I made so many mistakes. 

Today my new partner and I are his next of kin and his unregistered carers. We - I- have a certain amount of responsibility for him as he only has his mother who is not trustworthy. 

For years - I didn't even realise how stressed out I was. Today, I'm getting out of the shock how stressed I

Was. But I also used to introduce him as ' hi my name is A ....... And this is my husband ...... s..... And he has schizophrenia. 

I remember that time with shame but I didn't not so it without care which your adoptive parents did. Iv said how sorry I am and my ex husband has acknowledged it. 

I'll get back to you @MJG017 

@Lila3 @rav3n 

@PeppyPattiI think I would have been okay with my mother telling people I was adopted if she stopped when I said I didn't like it.  I felt broken and rejected as an adoptee and always wanted to hide it.  So her telling people was like "Oh great more people know the truth about me now!" plus it felt so dismissive of my feelings, but I was sort of used to that by the time I spoke up.

When you said you are getting out of the shock of how stressed you were, it made me think that maybe i'm just beginning to realise just how traumatising a lot of stuff growing up probably was.  I always knew it adversely affected me, especially with self esteem and fear of rejection but I always just thought of it as my weakness to handle it.

I also think it's amazing you and your new partner care for your ex. I feel like it says so much about the both of you.  I've heard a lot of people say they still look after someone because that person doesn't have anyone else.  It's still a choice and good people make good choices.  Great people don't see it as a choice.

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/artist/yes/i... Amazon: http://amzn.to/1bnX3yB OWNER OF A LONELY HEART Move yourself You always live your life Never thinking of the future Prove yourself You are the move you make Take your chances win or loser See yourself You are the steps you take You and you -

@Glisten  Ooohhhh.... I LOVE that song.  The start is one of my favourite guitar riffs. 

@MJG017 the opening is so distinctive, that you immediately know what song it is.

Very, very clever.

G

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance