Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: What does mental illness look like exactly?

Dear Loopy,

I read your messages with interest and anjoyment. Like others on this forum, , like Allesandra1992 aka Sandy...., Kato, Karma, Hobbit, nik nik, Sherry Bomb, Mick giving, others that I apologise I have not included. Kirsten, phew...

As you  know, its me that writes, get yourself a lived experience /carers copt of the state laws for your state. Stick the piece of paper, the state law in your Doctors hands, tell them to read it ....it is shows your rights in Law.

When you write to State people regarding mental health, of course they will arc up because of MAJORity of people are slow to change and everyone is restricted in what they truly want to say, so Loopy, for only concern on my part and also, I dont know if I am writing for anyone else, please dont mind if you do not get answers from others.

Thank you @CherryBomb for inviting my comment on the subject of stigma – sorry I couldn’t take part in the forum.

I agree with @BeHappy that it depends on your workplace and would take it a step further and say that it is not just the workplace but also depends on your individual manager. I also agree with what @Zinoviev says about some organisations talking-the-talk but not walking-the-walk however, I think it applies to a wide range of organisations – not just the NFP sector. I spent some time working for a major organisation that, amongst a wide range of other things, provided training to workplaces on creating MI friendly work environments however, when a member of our own team disclosed a new MI diagnosis, the immediate response of the relevant manager was to say that we weren’t in a position to carry that team member and to move them sideways into another position.

There is also a degree of what I call “well intentioned stigma”. For example, in another work environment where two staff had disclosed MI diagnoses and managers were supportive, there was a lot of well intentioned stigma resulting in the staff with disclosed MI diagnoses missing out on promotional opportunities. For example, when opportunities came up managers would exclude the staff with MI diagnoses on the basis of not wanting to “overload”, “put pressure on” or “stretch” them.

There were times when the staff in question would have been ideal for the opportunities on offer and, as with all of us, those staff would have been best placed to be presented with the opportunity so that they could make their own decision as to whether they could take on the additional responsibility at that particular point in time. Continually overlooking people with MI, born out of a desire to protect them, as well intentioned as it may be can sometimes make the workers regret ever having disclosed.

I agree with Maude.
Especially for the more severe mental illnesses people often take the attitude of either blatant discrimination or patronizing attitudes with wellmeant intentions.
E.g..asking the person "are you taking your meds" etc whereas those people would just like to be treated like everyone else.

Re: What does mental illness look like? - Myth busters

I find quite a bit that some you meet think that schizophrenia is a split personality affliction, Jekyl and Hyde sort of thing. I also find that people think all medication to treat MI works by putting those with an MI diagnosis into a  catatonic state.

I think that landing a job in the Mental Health area is a great opportunity, in an educated and sympathetic environment. Sadly most do not have this opportunity.

I remember turning up to an interview in a suit once and the human resources guy telling me he couldn't believe I had schizophrenia because he thought that schizophrenic people cant look after their own hygiene.

By the very fact that some make the observation that you cant have a mental illness "because you look so normal" implies that those with a mental illness must act crazy and be identifiable as such. That is the view of many as to how they perceive how mental illness looks like.

The trick is to educate people to accept the diversity of people with mental illness, just as they would within the wider community.

kenny

Re: What does mental illness look like? - Myth busters

Wow - just goes to show that relating a simple and seemingly insignificant story can grow into a real conversation.  I wish I could have attended the topic last night but unfortunately daylight savings means they now start at 4.30 my time which is the time I finish work.  

what an honest comment.

I was quite close to a lady who was proud to tell me that she was suffering times of MIH (mental ill health) ....with rapid cycling bipolar and experiencing psychotic episodes. 

Smiley Happy

Hey @Loopy 

(Love the new pic!) What you describe about losing your memroy over that incredibly bad period after hitting the wall, is I believe fairly common - not always so severe. Damage to memory as a result of trauma is so frequent. It seem sto be tramua-related and short-term memory that is affected. 

My own experience is that my short term memory is RS if I am triggered or even stressed. It is much better than it was in 2009 tho. Then I couldn't even go to the supermarket for 3 things because I wouldn't remember them all, and writing a list was useless as I could never find it (but only when the agraphobia allowed me to leave the house!). I can remember many things going back to my early childhood as if someone had a video camera going, and yet there are spaces in the middle that are a memory "white-out". There's no memories at all where I know there should be some. This is not accessible, and no point in my trying to pry the lid off the "chocolate box" as it only makes it worse.

Something I've realised in myself, and seen in some other PTSD sufferers, is that photographic/video camera memory is I think a result of suffering trauma. Now when I experience something traumatic I go into a kind of stasis but the camera is rolling, so I can process it later as I'm able. I hope that makes sense?

Never doubt the sun is always there above the clouds. The essence which is you is there too - shining forth (as observers we possibly see this of you more clearly than you do). Below there may be cloudy or stormy weather, or even unrelenting fog. But just like in life the sun is shining above the weather, so you are still there - the storms will take their toll and time, but weathering them is a journey to finding ourselves.

Kind regards,

Kristin

Hey @Loopy 

I love your vision, I hope & pray it comes true. We are definitely having a positive impact on each other's lives being connected. Which is a wonderful start!

Cheers, 

Kristin

In fact that reminds me of a "good ideas" post. I'll tag you on it!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance