Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Club

MJG017
Senior Contributor

Mental Health in the workplace

Based on some chat tonight, I'm just creating a thread where we can talk about dealing with mental health issues and the work place.  How it affects us and the issues people have dealing with MH while working.

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Mental Health in the workplace

@tyme @Squishy 

I'll post some links I found which I gave in the chat for anyone who may find them helpful in regards to MH in the workplace and your rights etc.

https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/black-dog-institute-mental-health-to...

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/mental-health/work

Hey @MJG017 @Squishy , You've raised a very important question. Do you need to disclose your MH to work? And if so, what laws protect you and will you lose your contract?

@MJG017 @tyme 

I have been putting off updating my workplace for a month now, and they are lovely and give with late medical certs as they know most of what's going on.... However, I am worried that my update isn't what they want to hear as the return date keeps being pushed back. I also have a physical injury and I don't want them to be put out and then use the injury as an excuse to end my contract. I haven't been working in a long time I don't know all my rights but my cPTSD is work related (not this work place) so I am terrified of even talking to them and saying or doing the wrong thing/embarrassing myself unprofessionally. 

I wanted a OT or a social work but I don't know if I need someone that can go with me or to speak to legal advocate first.

Chicken or egg?

I think that's why I'm so late with emailing my medical cert as I don't have any updates and answers to the questions they will have.

Hey @Andarna ,

Makes sense. I think worksafe in your state is probably the best go to if you don't have a HR department in your area. Was the injury a work injury too?

@tyme @MJG017 

I know I didn't need to but for some parts yes I needed accommodations, and understanding with some context but I didn't disclose everything. I don't ideally want to disclose my current injury as when I return it shouldn't be an issue but sometimes certain words and concepts can't be unsaid/heard like opening Pandora's box. 

I love my work and want to be able to go back eventually but I don't know when and I don't know what words will spook them to change their mind.

Hi @Andarna I can certainly understand your concerns putting off your update.  I think the first step would be to find out exactly what your rights are.  If you don't feel comfortable asking anyone at your workplace then maybe contacting somewhere like Safework Australia.  I would thing they could help, and/or give you other ideas of who you could talk to.  The more information you have, the more equipped you will probably feel in handling this situation.

I really hope your workplace is understanding and you can get some resolution soon.  The stress of this obviously isn't helping on top of everything else you have to deal with.

@tyme 

I don't know if it was a workplace injury or not, I can't be certain I was sore prior but it got very painful and continued to exacerbate when in different types of  movements/reduced activity while I wasn't working. This was a few months after I stopped working. I don't think I'd need to go down the road of claiming the injury even if it was or anything, I just want to keep my job.

Makes sense @Andarna .

I reckon get on the phone to work safe in your area and have a chat to them about what your legal obligations are and what you can/can't do from a legal perspective.

I hear it can be so stressful for you.

@Andarna 

I agree with @tyme, i think your best bet is to contact work safe and get their advice.  Here is a link on their website that lists all state contacts.  At least you'll then hopefully have enough information to form a plan.

https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/law-and-regulation/whs-regulators-and-workers-compensation-auth...

There's also this link you may find helpful...

https://www.headtohealth.gov.au/finding-help/informing-your-workplace

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

For urgent assistance