Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Netty78
Contributor

BPD

So I am just wanting to connect with people who suffer from BPD and compare notes on treatment and options for therapy.

At the moment my battle with BPD and depression seems to be like Ground Hog Day, running day in and day out? Does anyone else with BPD find this?

I am doing Therapy with the local psychologist but just feel like I am going in circles or just plodding along each day until the next session. As for my psychiatrist, well he travels up from Sydney and my follow up appointments are 3-4 months apart. He isn't like my old psychiatrist who diagnosed and treated patients but he also did psychotherapy and somatics. My psychiatrist just goes through your history since the last appointment, looks over your medication, then wham, bam thank you mam, your appointment is done and dusted and you feel like you have wasted time being there.

Can anyone recommend any great psychiatrists in NSW who don't just diagnose and treat but do psychotherapy and mindfulness? Is there anything useful out there for BPD patients?

GP's are as good as useless to see in my area as they won't adjust your mental health medications or introduce a new one until they have advice from your psychiatrist.

Does anyone find it like Ground Hog Day dealing with GP's, psychiatrists and psychologists?

In the New England (Northern NSW) mental health services and support is pathetic! A lot of money has gone into Headspace and stuff to support our youth, but nothing for the general public when it comes to Mental Health.

7 REPLIES 7
Judi9877
Community Guide

Re: BPD

Hi there @Netty78 . Nice to meet you! I'm a Community Guide here and I'd like to welcome you to the forums. I read that you have BPD. I also have BPD myself along with several other mental health conditions so I can understand how that feels to a certain extent. Whilst I can't give you advice about psychiatrists in your area as part of Community guidelines and stuff, I can point you to a discussion thread that you might be interested in called Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script where people with BPD discuss all things BPD. Another community guide @BPDSurvivor has a great amount of knowledge on BPD so I'll tag her into this thread of yours. 

I look forward to seeing you around the forums!

Judi9877☺️💐

Thank you as I am in need at the moment and cannot see my psychologist for 2 weeks which is no good to me.

Hi Netty

Sorry to hear you are struggling. I am as well at the moment. BPD and deppression as well. So I know your pain.

I don't think I can be of use to you with the NSW questions. As I am in Melbourne. I am about to start a 36 week DBT program at the Melbourne DBT Centre so I can let you know if that improves my symptoms. I am right in the thick of the struggle.

I understand DBT is the gold standard treatment for BPD. It definitely suits me though as I prefer empirical thought to rational.

I agree with you so much. The support is very lacking. And I'm counting my pennies to afford the support. I'm hoping to one day complete my masters of public health and run a health promotion business to increase the support for BPD.

DBT programs are hard to get into for some reason. Have you done one before?

What type of therapy are you doing with your psychologist?

Olga
Senior Contributor

@Netty78, yes it can be like ground hog day until we find the right psychiatrist, an understanding GP, an effective psychologist, the right combination of meds and so the list goes on. This took me several years and my patience as well as my ability to endure was running thin. When I am well enough I spend a lot of time educating myself on everything to do with BPD, from meditation to CBT, newest research etc. I find that being informed and aware will empower us in our dealings with healthcare professionals etc. You asked for a recommendation of a good psychiatrist. I am not sure about New England District but I find that I got a much better psychiatrist when I was prepared to pay a bit more. My psychiatrist works from a private practice rather than being attached to the hospital. But I am sure you can find good ones and bad ones everywhere. Sometimes we just need a bit of luck .

Hi @Netty78 ,

I haven't heard from you for a while. How are you managing? Any success with your therapist?

Hope to hear from you soon!

BPDSurvivor

Hi @TomRiddle32 ,

How is your DBT program going? I'm really interested in it, and wouldn't mind hearing about it.

Hope it's not too triggering, if you need support, please reach out. We're only a message away.

BPDSurvivor

Hey, thanks for the message:)

Yeah going very well. I've finished mindfulness and stress management. And halfway through emotional regulation. Much more in control of these symptoms now and am back studying my masters and other life stuff. Sadness and anxiety dysregulation is so painful- though now I can see some lights at the end of the tunnel for sure. My episodes in the last month last a few hours at maybe an 8 outta 10 discomfort. Rather than 3 to 4 days at off the charts discomfort. It's getting much closer to just normal (for a deep emotional range like myself) emotions again 

Im also booked into schema therapy late in the year to do more attachment based work- as I am big in that theory in a root cause kinda way

It is very skill based- So I would recommend anybody who doesn't have access to a class- to buy the skills book and start practicing in the order the book lays out

I have been also doing a lot of values work which I have found to be probably the most powerful. It's very spiritually powerful to be connected to values when other's may not be acting from good values. And I have had lots of synchronicity as a result 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance