Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Riversong1
Casual Contributor

Question about medication

Hi this is the first time I have posted so if my question is not appropriate please do say so. 

I have a daughter who is 20 been on medication since she was 14 for major depression, and a couple of diagnosis. A persistant theme for her has been fatigue absolute exhaustion. 

We have ruled out all physcial illnesses and I am questioining if its time for a medication change, she has been on the same one since she was 14. 

Someone told me about about medical DNA testing that helps identify what medications work well and don't. You are meant to take the results to the psychiatrist which helps them in treatment planning. I am in the process of asking her doctor but wondered if anyone had used this or is it a complete gimmick. With thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Question about medication

Someone told me about about medical DNA testing that helps identify what medications work well and don't. --- have not heard about this @Riversong1 

but I know our bodies change overtime and she may need to have a change in her medication 

my husband had to change his after years 

@Smc@frog@Faith-and-Hope@Anastasia@Determined , @Former-Member 

Hello @Riversong1 

Welcome to the forums 🙂

I am glad you are here and hope it provides you with the support to help navigate the tricky years of young adults. I have two of my own 😁 it's a tough gig and the support here helps me cope especially 

on the difficult days. 

I'm a firm believer that if medication/s are no longer working, it's time for a reassessment. Given your daughter's age too I would imagine her body has undergone fairly significant changes in those years.  

I'm not across DNA testing, sounds interesting but I'm unable to provide any insight. Just pop an @ in front of our names to tag us. I look forward to becoming acquainted 🙏

Hello gorgeous @Shaz51 🙂

Hi @Riversong1 🌷

I have had multiple medication changes over 20yrs and many had lethargic and weight gain side effects.

Over the years the most effective way for me to help find what medications worked best was being part of my own recovery and talking with my doctors letting them know how they are affecting my mood, energies (signs and symptoms) writing it down and bringing my notes to appointments.

Sadly medications won't bring me recovery alone. It's many things and actions I have to do like....exercise, hobbles, groups, educating myself on diagnosis, friends, family. I like to say it takes a villages and a team of professionals to keep me well and happy. 🙏

Hi, my daughter did the DNA profiling on the recommendation of her psychiatrist. She received a comprehensive report back that did validate her past experience of certain medications not being ideal for her. I think the test was worth doing but interpret results as part of a whole. It isn't black and white but I think a valuable tool to guide towards the better options. 

Thank you change of medication is a combination of hope and worry.

Thanks @Anastasia, for your reassurance my daughter has started the process of reducing meds with the guidance of her psychiatrist. I feel worried and hopeful. The psychiatrist said he did not use medical dna testing I think it's quite new I going to do more research on it.

Hello @Riversong1 

Its good to hear from you. I so hear you about the worry and hope around medications. I really hope you start to see and your daughter starts to feel some positive changes. Always here for a chat and ear if you need one, take care hun 🙏

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance